A gastroenterologist is a doctor who specialises in diagnosing and treating conditions affecting the digestive system. If you have symptoms such as diarrhoea, constipation, cramps, abdominal pain, blood in your poo, difficulty eating, or bloating then you may need to see a gastroenterologist if your GP isn’t able to help. A gastroenterologist can perform specialist tests to identify the cause of your symptoms and provide treatments for conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), gastro-oesophageal reflux, and gastrointestinal cancers. You will usually need to see a gastroenterologist if your GP suspects a digestive disorder or has diagnosed you with one of these conditions. A specialist can provide expert advice and additional treatment options to help with your symptoms.
Our gastroenterology service can diagnose and treat all kinds of conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract. Our gastroenterologists can help with disorders of the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, bowel and other parts of the digestive system. A gastroenterologist can:
- Perform specialist tests such as endoscopy and colon cancer screening
- Provide a diagnosis for digestive symptoms
- Offer lifestyle advice to help you to manage your symptoms
- Explain your treatment options and advise you on the best approach
- Perform treatment or refer you to another specialist for surgery, dietary advice or other treatments
- Monitor your condition, especially if you have a chronic condition
Our gastroenterologists are highly trained specialists who have experience performing a wide range of different investigations and treatments. As a clinic specialising in digestive health, we can provide the expert care and advice that you need for all kinds of gastrointestinal disorders. You will be treated by an experienced gastroenterologist who can refer you to other specialists at the clinic if you need additional care. Your gastroenterologist will be able to answer all of your questions and provide advice when you need it.